Promotion of the sustainable production of agrifuels in Madagascar
Thus, the WWF/ Agrifuel project wants to contribute to the establishment of a favorable environment for the sustainable development of agrifuels in Madagascar, that is to say an eco- aware development that will also benefit the national and local producing and consumer population.
Objective and description
- The establishment and operationalization of a platform at national level, which should focus on, the framework that will govern the agrifuel sector in Madagascar.
- The promotion of a guide of Environmental and Social Impact Study for the agrifuel sector and starting with investments in the Atsimo Andrefana and Vatovavy Fitovinany regions.
- The organization of a network of NGO and civil society organizations to monitor the agrifuel investments on the national ground.
- Started: August 2009
- Planned end date: December 2011
- Executant: Irina Randriantiana
- Managing Office: WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean Programme Office
- Address: WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean Programme Office B.P. 738 Antananarivo 101 - Madagascar - +261 20 22 348 85
- Status: active
Agrifuel Project Officer
WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean Programme Office,
+261 20 22 402 84
Achievements and Impacts
- The PAD Committee, executive board of the PAD, meets regularly to implement and monitor the action plan that was adopted at the level of the platform. First, the establishment of an information sharing system is one of the main activities of the PAD in order to have a same level of information regarding the agrifuel sector. A draft interdepartmental decree establishing the PAD and the PAD Committee has been adopted by the PAD and is expected to be proposed at the level of the concerned ministries. The PAD Committee is composed of representatives of the Ministries in charge of Land Development and Decentralization, Agriculture, Environment and Forests, Energy, Oil (Hydrocarbons), Economy, Industries, Finances and Budget; of the National office for the Environment, of the Malagasy Hydrocarbons Office, the Economic Development Board of Madagascar; and of the private sector and villagers associations. WWF provides the Technical Secretariat of the PAD Committee during the project.
- A strategic study of the development of the agrifuel sector in Madagascar, considering the environmental, social, and economic aspects, will be conducted and will result in a proposed policy, regulatory and strategic framework allowing the PAD to position itself in order to help at best the State to formulate its own policies and strategies;
- The sectorial Guide for the Environmental and Social Impact Study is being finalized in collaboration with the National Office for the Environment. The Guide will be promoted nationally.
- The establishment of a network of NGOs and CSOs is being prepared. This network will ensure the sustainability of the investments, since the CSOs are in the best position to get ground information, and they are also best suited to carry out local awareness and information sessions.