The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
- WWF Global
- Central African Republic
- Central America
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- European Policy Office
TRAFFIC - Legal Officer (Deadline extended)
TRAFFIC is seeking a Legal Officer to be based in Antananarivo, Madagascar.
Position background:Project Manager will support TRAFFIC’s growing project portfolio in Madagascar. The successful candidate will
support the Madagascar Project Manager and the INL Project Manager to implement a comprehensive portfolio of
projects focused on countering the illegal national and cross-border trade in Malagasy wildlife, with special focus
on the US-INL-financed LEMUR-CWC (“Law Enforcement in Madagascar: a United Response to Combating Wildlife
Crime”) project. He will undertake court case monitoring, historical case reviews, capacity building, and other activities as per required by project needs.
Full Requirements / Expectations of the Role holder:
- Minimum of an LLB or Master’s degree in Law or related legal studies.
- Relevant and proven work experience in a legal role, including experience of case work in a court room context.
- Registration as a professional lawyer will be considered a distinct advantage.
- Proven work experience in the environmental sector, preferably combatting wildlife crime, corruption, and/or
- wildlife law enforcement.
- Relevant experience in data collection, legal analysis, and drafting of legal documents.
- Experience in court monitoring and/or court process analysis and assessment will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience on Malagasy Dina law will be considered a strong advantage.
- Strong research and analytical skills, together with the ability to articulate complex issues clearly and to summarize
- large quantities of information in a clear, concise manner.
- A throughout knowledge and understanding of policy and legislative frameworks in Madagascar as well as relevant
- institutions responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the same, and specially of those related to
- environmental and anti-corruption issues.
- Ability to work as part of a global team, with some communications taking place outside of regular office hours
- as required due to multi time-zone coordination.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to understand and synthesize information from a diverse range of sources.
- Excellent project management skills, with proven ability to prioritize workloads and meeting deadlines.
- Sound organizational skills and ability to prioritize and deliver assignments as required and ability to work
- under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Highly motivated and results-oriented individual with the ability to work independently, with remote oversight, and under pressure, and to set own work priorities as appropriate with a capacity to meet deadlines.
- Ability to supervise and manage a team but at the same time, to show initiative and be proactive.
- Strong IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email) and excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong team player with proven communication and diplomacy with the ability to work effectively with multicultural and multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong communication skills with verbal and written fluency in English and French essential. Fluency in Malagasy language will be considered a strong asset.
- Malagasy citizenship or permanent residential status is preferable.
- Willing and able to travel frequently within Madagascar
Full Terms of Reference can be found on the following websites or on notice board of TRAFFIC and WWF offices:
How to apply?Cover letter and detailed CV(*) with telephone number for quick contact, photo, 03 professional references to be sent by mail to email@example.com with the mention “Legal Officer”.
(*) specific template for cover letter and resume can be requested by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or available HERE.
Deadline for application: November 20th 2020.
Only preselected candidates are contacted.
Read the full publication
Traffic - INL Legal Officer